BC Victims of Homicide
Suggestions to Cope with the Holidays
- Strategies for coping with loss during the holidays
- How to cope with the feelings of overwhelm and sadness
- Ways to honor your loved one during the holiday season
- How to get the support you need
- Gifts You Can’t Buy With Money, Author Unknown
- Handout Holiday Survival Checklist, Author Unknown
- How to Help Ourselves Through the Holidays, Donna Kalb
- Helpful Ideas for Journying Through the Holidays, Author Unknown
- Coping with Special Days and Holidays, Author Unknown
- How to Cope with Grief During the Holidays, Dr. Tali Berliner
- Grief & Holidays, Grief.com
- Coping with Social Events and the Holidays: A Widow’s Story, Lisa Scott
- 3 Cs of Coping with the Holidays, Kenneth J. Doka (Courtesy of Hospice Foundation of America)
- Guilt and Grief During the Holidays, Eleanor Haley
- 8 Tips for Remaining Present at the Holidays (While Grieving), Eleanor Hale
- Handling the Holidays When You Are Feeling Blue, Marty Tousley
- Grief: Special Days and Holidays Brochure, Victoria Hospice Bereavement Services
- Navigating Grief and Loss During the Holidays, Dee Sterm
Resources for Children
- Helping Children Cope with the Holidays, Rosar-Morrison Funeral Home
- Helping Grieving Children Handle the Holidays, adapted from Ralph Klicker
- Helping Grieving Children and Yourself Cope with the Holidays, adapted from Terry Androsky
- Helping Grieving Children Through the Holidays , Jodi Rule-Rouse and Linda Ranson Jacobs
- 7 Tips to Support Grieving Children During the Holidays, Heather Stang
- Children & Grief: How to help kids with loss early in life, Podcast with Jana Decristofaro
Grief During the Holidays Events
Island Narrative Therapy Counselling Present: Holiday Grief Support Group
Island Narrative Therapy invites you to join a Holiday Grief Support Group open to those grieving a significant death loss. The time will open with a craft devoted to the memory of the deceased loved one and a candle lit in their honour. Discussion will centre around the struggles people experience with grief during the holiday season and ways each person has approached rituals and traditions without their special person.
When: Wednesday, December 14, 2022
Time: 6:30 PM 8:30 PM
Tea and Dessert will be served.
This event is FREE.
Island Narrative Therapy Counselling Present: DEATH CAFE
Have you ever wanted to talk to others openly about death without the conversation feeling weird and awkward? You can do just that in a Death Cafe.
A Death Cafe is a group directed discussion about death with no agenda, objectives or themes. It is a discussion group rather than a grief support or counselling session. Death Cafes have no intention of leading people to any conclusion, product or course of action.
Death Cafes often bring together strangers with the common desire to talk about death. Dessert is always served.
Death Cafes are not for profit global gatherings and are free of charge. They are valuable because people of all cultures desire to normalize conversations about death.
To learn more, visit deathcafe.com. If you plan on attending this event, please register by emailing [email protected].
When: Wednesday, January 25, 2023
Time: 6:00 PM 8:00 PM
Location: Fernwood Community Association Auditorium1923 Fernwood Road VICTORIA, BC, V8T 2Y6Canada (map)